Advancement to Candidacy for Masters Degree

After the candidacy form has been signed by your Graduate Adviser and thesis chair (if Plan I), it is returned to Graduate Studies. After advancement is approved, formal notice of Advancement to Candidacy is sent to you and your Graduate Adviser. If you are not eligible for advancement, you and the department will be informed that action on your application has been deferred and the reason why (e.g., grade point average below 3.0).

On the candidacy application, you and your Graduate Adviser agree on and submit a statement of how you will complete the requirements for the degree under either Plan I (Thesis) or Plan II (Exam). If you must make changes in your program after Advancement to Candidacy, your Graduate Adviser must make recommendations for such changes to Graduate Studies.

Part I requires completion of 30 units of upper division and graduate courses and submission of a thesis. At least 12 of the 30 units required must be strictly graduate work in the major subject.

Part II requires completion of 36 units of upper division and graduate courses and satisfactory performance on a comprehensive final examination. At least 18 of the 36 units required must be strictly graduate courses in the major subject. No more than 9 units of research (299 courses or equivalent) may be used to satisfy the 18-unit graduate course requirement.

A comprehensive final examination (Plan II) in the major subject area may be written or oral or both according to the rules adopted by the particular graduate program. You should be informed in advance of the general subject matter on which you will be examined.